This post will be long and winding and whiny.
Nearly 2 months ago I was fired from my admin job and I haven't been able to find work since. There were two interviews but nothing panned out despite my experience and education. We knew we wouldn't be able to stay here in our apartment (which we *just* moved into back at the beginning of July) so Ryan started asking around for transfers to see what was available with his company. Right now he's an assistant manager but while I was in the hospital getting my gallbladder out he was informed that two different manager positions were opening up; one here on the island but up North, and the other back in our home province of Ontario. We talked about it and decided that the one closer to our families was the best pick. His job said they would help us with the moving costs, so the last week and a half has been getting quotes and figuring out the best way to move our household 4000km for the second time.
Today we recieved confirmation of what 'help you with the moving costs' meant; they're going to help with the first month's rent. THIS IS NOT HELPING WITH THE MOVE, THIS IS HELPING WITH RENT. We're looking at upwards of $4200 to move our stuff, and car, and that's IF a close friend can get the time to help out and we pack everything ourselves. If not, we're looking at $6500 to get it done professionally, including the packing since I shouldn't thanks to surgery. Obviously, with me not working and us not even being able to pay the rent here on the apartment, we don't have the money to move in either case but we must move. So now I don't know what we're going to do. The only real option is to put the vast majority of our stuff into storage, get to Ontario, me and the kids will stay with my inlaws (who rock, by the way) while Ryan starts his new job and finds us somewhere to live. My inlaws are in one city and Ryan will be in another, about 7 hours away, but we have practise being apart. It's not fun, but we can do it. Thankfully we already have travel to Ontario covered, but we have no way to get our car there. We're flying out on the 19th for Ryan's brother's wedding and the plane tickets were purchased (and are non-refundable and non-transferrable) a while ago. Instead of coming back to the island, we're just going to stay in the Sault for a while. We can send clothes and other small necessary items via Greyhound from here to my inlaws before the plane ride. I don't know what the other option is. Not moving isn't an option; we have to go, job or no job because I have no job, and very little at this moment is in our control, which I also haaaaate.
I'm so tired. This will be my fifth move in just over 2 years. Gabe will be at his 4th new school after the move and we enroll him either in a school near my inlaws, or wait and enroll him when we get settled in Southern Ontario. I've given away or sold so many things, and there's still a few more things to go, that I feel like I'm becoming a monk. Less is more, I suppose, but I like my knicknacks and pictures and our vast collection of books. Everything I've managed to keep has sentimental value, including the books. We've culled those down to only what we love and will reread, or haven't read yet. As it is, the list of things I want to somehow get to my inlaws, and then to the still-just-in-my-head new place in Southern Ontario, is what I consider to be the bare bones of comfort and normality. All the books and knicknacks, paintings and pictures, games and movies and such will all go into storage.
I suppose I should spend a great deal of time tomorrow tracking down boxes and packing materials and start putting this stuff away in some manner. It would have been so nice to just hire someone else to do it for me for a change, especially with the surgery, but hey, if I can pack and move at 8 months pregnant like I did last summer, I can do it this fall with a few small, mostly healed holes in my chest. Consider this my apology in advance for yet another interruption in posting.