The my last post was a sortof review at about athletic clothing at an Etsy shop. I had mixed feelings about their offerings; some shirts had snappy sayings that I might buy if I were the gym-going type, some contained mixed messages that were troubling, and some were downright fat hating. The fat hating is why I don’t directly link to their shop; I don’t want to give them the traffic. It was disappointing to see athletic clothing only going up to an XL and I was reminded of the FFF post “I Hate Confrontations” and its comment thread on fat athletes. It’s really damn hard to be fat and dare to work-out in public. Nicer clothes wouldn’t hurt, that’s for sure!
From something that was fail, however, has come some win; the first comment on the post was from Flying Pig Apparel, inviting me to check out their blog and letting me know about an upcoming Kickstarter for their fat athletics clothing line. So I did, of course! And colour me impressed; the line of clothes Flying Pig Apparel wants to make is based on *actual measurements*, not an arbitrary number, and is modelled on actual fat bodies, not just small-fat bodies, with considerations for things like what a piece will look like overall and making custom sizes the norm. Their blog is HAES-themed while also touching on the hows and whys of their upcoming venture and has been a good read.
Today, June 1st, is the first day of their Kickstarter campaign and over the next 30 days they’re looking to raise $11,000 for equipment, supplies and wages
for their seamstress. How can you help? Well, there are some sweet
rewards for donating to Flying Pig Apparel, and you’re
only charged if they meet their goal. That’s how Kickstarter works. If
money is tight, and I know for many people it is, you can spread the
word about the campaign through Facebook, Twitter and your own writing spaces. June will zip by and I hope by the end of it we’ll see what it’s like when pigs fly!
- Everyone who pledges their support, no matter how small the amount, will receive a personal thank you email from the Flying Pig Apparel team.
- Pledge $10 or more and receive a video thank you instead.
- Pledge $25 or more and receive the video thank you and a limited-edition Flying Pig Apparel tote bag with our awesome logo on the side.
- Pledge $50 or more and receive your choice of a tank or tee from the new line, the limited edition tote, and a video thank you.
- Pledge $100 or more and receive your choice of pants or capris, a tank or tee, the limited edition tote, and a video thank you.
- Pledge $200 or more and receive 2 full outfits (2 tops and 2 bottoms of your choice), the limited edition tote, and a video thank you.
- Pledge $300 or more and receive 2 full outfits for yourself, a full outfit for a friend (includes shipping within the U.S.), the limited edition tote, and a video thank you. Not feeling generous? You can have all 3 sets for yourself if you like.
- Pledge $500 or more and receive the rewards from the $300 level as well as an original piece of artwork with the Flying Pig Apparel logo as a theme. This might be a hand drawn poster by Audre or an original applique/quilt wall hanging by Rene.
- So when you pledge your support, you’re not only investing in bringing intelligently designed active wear to every body, you’re also getting a chance to pre-order your own Flying Pig Apparel active wear.
Disclaimer: I recieve nothing for writing this post, I just offered to do it because I think Flying Pig is something we need and should support as best we can. Have a wonderful weekend!